Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The best tomato sauce recipe ever...

My favourite room is my sewing room and not my kitchen so for me to post a recipe is a BIG DEAL.
But I promised you earlier that I would share this Tomato Sauce recipe, the Australian version.


I enjoyed the company of cooking it with a friend and even better, using my own homegrown, organic tomatoes. The sauce is particularly devine with barbeque meat. So here it is...



Tomato sauce  - The Australian Recipe

For 8 kg tomatoes                          For 3kg tomatoes

1 tablespoon black pepper                                    0.34 of a tablespoon

0.75oz (21.3 gram) cloves                                      7.4 grams

1.5 oz (42.5 gram) all spice                                    14.8 grams

19 pound (8.63 kg) tomatoes        3kg

2 pounds (0.9kg) onions                                         0.31 kg

0.25 pound (114 gram) salt                                   39.6 grams

3.75 pounds (1.7 kg) sugar                                    0.6 kg

8 apples                                                                     3 apples

1 teaspoon cayenne                                               0.35 teaspoon

1.5 pints (0.7 litre) vinegar                                    0.243 litres



Put all spices into a calico pouch and tie securely.

Throw everything into a very large pot and simmer for 3 hours.

Allow to cool before passing the lot through a hand-cranked food mill (Mouli).  Fill sterilised containers and seal, preferably with wax.

Thank you for walking through my garden...
                                                                         
                                                                         Jan x


No comments: