Saturday, June 1, 2013

Yarn Along...


Today, I am joining in with Yarn Along where I am sharing a knitting project with a book.


I am knitting a scarf for my 14yo daughter who will wear it to a dancing competition.  Her dancing school colours are black and yellow. The neon yellow Manos Maxima fair trade merino yarn is a perfect addition to her dancing uniform. She will wear it as she cheers on her dancing friends from the audience when she herself is not dancing on stage. The dancing event goes for 10 days so it is a big event on her calendar.

The stitch I am using is called "stocking heel". Row 1 is *knit 1, slip 1* K1. Row 2 is purl.  It produces this lovely rib structure. It is so easy and eliminates having to constantly switch the yarn around the needle like true rib.

I am a huge fan of the Diana Gabaldon Outlander series.  A Scottish setting, stone circles, time travel and romance sucked me right in. I couldn't put the series down.  In Australia (and I think the UK) the first book in the series is titled, believe it or not, Cross Stitch.  How could I resist reading this book when I love stitching so much? In the US, the first book is titled Outlander but I think this name is less appealing.  A friend recently gave me one of Diana's more recent books, Trail of Fire which is a book of four short stories that are side-shoot stories from the main series.  I am enjoying it very much.

Thanks for stopping by my garden...
                                                    Jan x

5 comments:

Sarah in Stitches said...

It sounds like a very interesting book! I've got a huge stack of books to get through at the moment, but I might try this series sometime in the future. And thanks for the knitting tip! That's a beautiful stitch :D

cucki said...

Yup it sound like a interesting book :)
Happy weekend xxx

Karoline said...

That scarf is bright! Enjoy your book

Julie said...

Good luck to your daughter and her friends in the competition.

Veronica said...

Good luck to your daughter and her friends.

I just started reading Cross Stitch and have bought the next two books in the series. I sure am enjoying it so far :)

Hugs,
Veronica.